Show me the way to Imanpa!
Men’s bush course was held at the small community of Imanpa from Monday 6 – Thursday 11 April. Imanpa is three hours drive south-west of Alice Springs. The course was led by Pastor Andrew Jaensch with assistance from Finke River Mission (FRM) support pastors. Bush courses are held for Aboriginal Ingkartas and evangelists to further their theological knowledge and understanding, discuss broader church issues and enjoy fellowship with Ingkartas from across central Australia.
Sometimes it is difficult to find the location of bush courses. This one was held in the Pitjantjatjara language area which is Pastor Rob Borgas’ support area and below is a copy of the instructions he sent to other FRM staff on how to find the camp area.
Please find directions to bush camp at Imanpa.
- Turn right at Imanpa turnoff on Lasseter Highway (10 – 15 km west of Mt Ebenezer roadhouse – which is permanently closed).
- Travel 5 – 10 km to the Imanpa community junction (which lies just at the start of the bitumen). Watch out for major road works on this access road.
- Turn right towards school and store.
- Turn right just before you get to the CDU demountable and the workshop (on a narrow dirt road).
- Travel past the old dump (300 – 400 m on left).
- Travel another 100m and veer right towards campsite. 200m later turn left onto campsite, which is a large cleanly graded area – as it was graded months ago there is not a lot of dust – yet. You will notice two reasonably large ironwood shade trees.
- Please reserve the two big shade trees for the tucker trailer and the lecture theatre. Other less significant trees are 20 – 50 meters away for camping under. Toilets and showers are a 500 – 600 m walk over the sand dune next to the footy oval – take a screwdriver to open the doors.
- If you get lost just ask someone for directions. People are very friendly at Imanpa.
- If you arrive during the dark we might be at church in the women’s centre opposite the community office. Come and ask for a personal guide.
- If you travel more than 1km from the corner with the CDU demountable and the workshop, then go back to the community and ask for help. You are lost.
- We need to bring toilet paper and cleaning stuff for the toilets (or else just use the nearest Salt bush or Senna bush).
- Bring fly nets and/or fly repellent and sunscreen (the shade trees are not overly big). The flies weren’t too bad today as the wind was blowing.
- Kangaroos and emus abound in the adjacent pastoral lease areas – they are either too scared to come onto Imanpa land or they are stupid and they won’t last long.
- Please don’t travel down the sacred site road or climb any of the hills behind the community (to the north) unless you get explicit permission from Tjuki (Chooky) Pumpjack and double check with me as well. He may take us on a tour sometime next week.
- We will have to fuel up course participants at Erldunda, Alice Springs, or give cash to those travelling west after the course is finished.
- Brenton will be cookie.
- I can tow the water truck and Brenton will tow the tucker trailer.